- STRAIGHT OR ANGLED - Can be easily converted for either a straight or 90 degree angled installation.
- AIR/FUEL MIXER - Shutter attached to the air-gas mixing chamber adjusts the flame from golden radiant to hot blue for a hotter fire.
- HEAVY DUTY - Sturdy construction provides years of reliable service.
- THIS DEVICE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR STARTING A WOOD FIRE AND IS NOT TO BE USED AS A DECORATIVE GAS APPLIANCE OR AS A SPACE HEATER
- CLEAN AND EFFICIENT - Can reduce emissions from wood-burning fireplaces by 50%.
Midwest Hearth Log Lighter
Easily start your wood burning fire using a gas log lighter.
- Burner Pipe (sealed on one end)
- Universal Air/Fuel Mixer (Select NG or LP)
- Mixer Plug (Allows straight or 90-degree installation)
Log Lighter Dimensions
- 19.5-Inch Overall Length
- Burner pipe alone measures 17-Inches
- Gas inlet hole is 1/2-Inch NPT
- Burner pipe attaches to air mixer using 3/8" threads
- Mixer plug is 1/2-Inch NPT
- A listed gas valve (not included) must be installed upstream of the log lighter.
- The log lighter should be located such that the burner ports are horizontal, facing into the fire box, with the air shutter facing out toward the front
- Locate lighter to minimize flame impingement on the grate.
- Adjust the air shutter to give a sharp blue flame with yellow tips.
- Make sure chimney flue and glass doors and screens are open.
- Fireplace should be clean of debris, as this could contain hot coals which could cause ignition if not disposed of properly. Ashes should be placed in a metal container with a tight fitting lid. The closed container should be placed on a non-combustible floor, and kept away from other combustible materials until the ashes have cooled.
- Make sure the log lighter gas valve is in the OFF position.
- Stack logs on the fireplace grate allowing an air space between the logs for quick lighting. Wait approximately five minutes before lighting.
- Make sure that shutter on mixing chamber is open to ensure that air and gas is being mixed. Flame should be blue.
- Light the burner by using a long fireplace match or lit paper under the center of the lighter near the burner ports.
- Turn the gas valve ON gradually until burner ignition occurs.
- If burner does not light within 5 seconds, turn valve off and wait 5 minutes before trying to relight.
- When log lighter is burning, close the fireplace screen. Do not close glass doors unless the wood in fireplace has been certified for use with log lighter with doors closed.
- When the wood fire is lit, the log lighter valve should be turned off. Failing to do so will cause wood to burn faster than normal. Remove gas valve key and place in a safe location.